Friday, April 4, 2008

MORAL RESPONSIBILITY

In the words of Dr Martin Luther King Jr, "There is nothing in the world more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. You have a moral responsibility to be intelligent."

Your assignment is this simple: You are to compose a clear, concise 5 paragraph essay AGREEING or DISAGREEING with this quote. You are to utilize the methods taught to you in M. Shakae's class regarding the 5 paragraph essay and 3 POINT THESIS, INCLUDING supporting details. This essay is due by the close of the day on Friday, March 28th.



“There is nothing in the world more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. You have a moral responsibility to be intelligent,” said Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. I would have to say that I agree with his powerful quote. It is basically saying God gave you a brain and it is due to you to use it. People who have moral responsibility reflect on their situation, form intentions about how they could change their act, and carry out that action.

From my viewpoint in order for you to be morally responsible you need to reflect on your situations. As proof you could not be morally responsible if you do something negative and it has no effect on you what so ever. For example, I told my mom that I would clean the kitchen after I finished my homework. Despite of doing what I told her that I would do I decided to go to my friend Gina’s house to see her new puppy. Obviously when my mom came home she was very upset and disappointed. Afterwards I felt bad about lying to my mom. Me thinking about what I did wrong showed that I was morally responsible.

Furthermore I tried to figure out a plan to make my mom feel better. Not only that I wanted her to know that the next time I told her I would do something that I actually would do it. As I sat in the kitchen and cleaned it as much as I possibly could I carefully tried to map out my plan. At first I thought about just pleading to her how much I was vas sorry, but decided against it. I finally thought that if I just cleaned the entire house she would understand that I felt how ignorant and stupid my actions were. That is to say my strategy to reverse the situation showed that I was morally responsible.

Indeed that was exactly what I did. I carried out my action to clean my entire house. Not to mention I even cleaned my little brothers room in which was extremely disgusting. Towards the end, my mom noticed how much I was struggling since I had never worked this much in my entire 16 years I have been living. She said that she appreciated the fact that I tried to make the situation better. Not only did I do something negative but I worked very hard to make it positive and showed that I was morally responsible.

In the long run in order to have moral responsibility you need to think about your position, put your mind towards a change and just do it. You are morally responsible for being bright and clever. If you are in a situation where you know that your wrong try to make it right. Show everyone that you have a mind that you use wisely and that you are not ignorant. It is always said that the mind is a terrible thing to waste.

No comments: